Name of organisation/institution:
Offene Jugendarbeit Lauterach/Open Youth Work Lauterach
Type of structure:
In the “girls´ afternoon” girls can stay in a protected area (rooms), where they don´t feel disturbed. They are able to explore new things and get to know their own strength and weaknesses. There are different afternoons with different objectives.
Girls in the youth club, every girl, who is interested. Girls with different migration backgrounds, different education, different family background, and refugees.
Age of participants:
10-19 years old
- to plan and create the afternoons – focus is on the participation.
- cook and eat together – they can connect without speaking. It should make it easier to get in contact and to support the cooperation.
- be creative (e.g. work with wood) – they get the chance to learn new things and to work with different materials like wood. They can break out of the “typical female stereotypes”.
- Plan a trip – Learn to organise a trip (time management, planning, social skills, from idea implementation, …). à the girls break out of the consumer behaviour and get active.
- assertiveness training – to learn self-perception, self-confidence, self-assertion, self-efficacy, self-defense and courage
Practical arrangements used:
Protected area to meet, play, being creative, chill, cook, etc. and a computer to plan and to make research.
Typical female stereotypes (sensitive, careful, emotional, …) and typical male stereotypes (brave, rational, objectively, …) exist in our society. In the „girls´ afternoon“ the youth workers want to break up these stereotypical roles.
Stereotypes, Diversity, Ascribed roles, Self-determination
Support the girls to find their own identity, to disintegrate discrimination and prejudices, orientation on girl’s needs, gender mainstreaming
Impacts on youngsters:
Girls have a meaningful leisure activity and learn something (informal learning)
Girls feel their needs and stand up for them
Girls are getting more self-confident
Girls get in contact with other girls or other groups
Personality and identity development
Impacts on the organization:
To get in contact with more girls and girl groups
The parents talk in a positive way about the youth work
Social participation (equity, social inclusion)
Offene Jugendarbeit Lauterach